The bums are back and they’re discussing technology that will take your skiing to levels you’ve never imagined, both in terms of comfort and performance!
- How Skiers Hat Sewing Hobby Turned Into a Business (powder.com)
- NOAA Official Winter Outlook (snowbrains.com)
- The Eurostar just debuted new ski routes from London (ski.curbed.com)
- TedX – Jason Levinthal of Line/J Skis – Nobody Needs More of the Same Things (youtube)
- Ski Bumming Leads to Success (snowbrains.com)
- SnowVole Awards Nominations (snowvole.com)
We did some research to find some great products to enhance your skiing experience. We’ve broken it into different categories for your viewing pleasure. If there’s something we missed hit us up and let us know @skibumpodcast
- Apple Watch – Tracks basic health and workout info. Lots of hope for this one. Can it stand the cold or will it freeze like my phone? Needs the phone too?
- Garmin Fenix 2 – Records all your individual ski runs (unique) and compares to other skiers.v3 due out this year.
- Suunto Ambit 3 Peak Black – Synchs to Bluetooth then cloud for storage. Includes heart rate and altitude info.
Cameras and Wearable Computers
- Go Pro Hero series
- Sony Action Cam Mini
- Oakley Airwave – HUD Display 14 inches 5 feet away. Music, trip, analytics, etc.
- Recon Instruments Snow 2 HUD – wearable computer projects 14 inch image 5 feet away and has a wrist control to help.
- Smith Optics I/O Recon – wifi & bluetooth, There’s a Recon HUD with 3D accelerometer, 3D gyroscope, and 3D magnetometer, along with altimeter and barometer applications.
- EHang Ghost drone – auto-folow high quality drone. Pre-orders now on Indiegogo .great item you’ll probably never get to use in a resort, but backcountry yes.
- Hitcase Pro – waterproof case with wide angle lens to turn iphone into action camera chest mount and railside mount.
- Liquid Image 339 Apex HD + Wifi – goggle with action camera built in. connects smartphone with goggles allowing you to control from goggles.
- Smith Optics I/OX Elite Turbo Fan (OTG) Goggle – fan built in to help keep from fogging up. Quiet fan, still requires free flowing air so will fog up if vents blocked.
- Serius Inferno Heated Gloves – Serius Heat Touch Ignite Mitten $300 – 3 temp settings – not for everyone though, sometimes liners and hand warmers are good.
- BearTek Bluetooth Snow Gloves – Hand is a remote, wireless synch with usb charger (80 hrs battery life), pair with smartphone and use your hand to talk on the phone. Touch sensors to control radio, apps, etc.
- Chaval Response XRT heated gloves – Hi quality golves with 3 heat levels. bet 4-6 hours charge
- Thermic – Gloves, Soles, and PowerSocks – Powersocks are cool and wearable all the time including when skiing or other outdoor.
- New Trent PowerPak Ultra – Waterproof 14,000mAh battery pack (huge power supply packed in small package) 2.1A or 1A outputs available, size of a fat iPhone 5.
- Giro Edit Helmet – Has go pro mount built into it
- Outdoor Technology Chips – speakers to drop into helmets.
Ski Tracking System
- Madshus emPower – RFID chip stores ski’s unique DNA to store profile. Comes with app to customize and track workouts based on skis being used.
Other Cool Technology To Note
- Jones Snowboards Ultracraft Split Snowboard – divides and turns into skis for backcountry and flat terrain traversing or difficult for snowboards to navigate.
- Apex MC-X Boot – Boot for boarding, binding that fits boot for skiing.
- Dakine ABS Signal 25L backpack – 25 L backpack that has an airbag for avalanche survival.
- Wagner Custom Skis – customization goes from your ski type for fitting, several fittings, even artwork for building them.