The bums are back and even though it’s hot, we’re going to talk about the evolution of hats and helmets in the world of skiing.
- Utah’s Mountain Accord Approved (ski.curbed.com)
- Park City Mountain Resort changes name to Park City Mountain (ski.curbed.com)
- Chile and Argentina Got Slammed (ski.curbed.com)
- Tips for Living in a Ski Town (powder.com)
- Boston Snow Pile May be Done
- El Nino to Hit California This Winter? (snowbrains.com)
- Winter (as in Mini-Ice Age) is Coming (huffingtonpost.com)
- IndieGoGo – RASTA Backcountry Glade, Cabin & Parking Project (indiegogo.com)
- During late 70’s an entire VT city (Winooski) almost put under a dome (ski.curbed.com)
Too Hot For Hats
In this episode we discussed the history of hats, evolution into helmets and how we got to this helmeted, Iron Man, ready-for-snow-battle state that we’re in now.
- The Balaclava – British Crimean War battle of Balaklava (wikipedia.org)
- The Knit Cap – many introduced by the military of different countries (wikipedia.org)
- Ski Helmets – How We Got Here (skiinghistory.org)
- Men’s Winter Hat Guide (artofmanliness.com)
- Watch Cap – stretch knit cap
- Ushanka – Russian babushka
- South American Chullo – alpaca w/earflaps and tie
- Astrakhan (Canadian Wedge)
- 1995-2010 increase of use from 5% to 76% – serious injuries decreased by 65%
- 2009 Vail & Intrawest made it mandatory for kids and workers to wear
Around the Horn
- Pluto fly by (34,000mph, 9yr flight, $700 million) (theguardian.com)
- Costs of space missions (forbes.com)
- Great Government Giveaways (fr. Time July 20, 2015)
- Dubai – raffled off prizes inc. 8.8lb gold bars to citizens in possession of a city travel card to promote public transport.
- Siberia – declared plan to give a sheep and ram to 500 large families to provide meat and wool.
- Amsterdam – in 2013 paid homeless alcoholics five cans of beer/day for participants collecting litter for up to 3 days/week.
- Tire Technology – Suspension wheels
- UFC 189 (ufc.com)
- I went to a marijuana dispensary in Colorado and it felt just like visiting a wine store (yahoo.com)